On hearing any songs from the Grease movie soundtrack it instantly brings back memories of blue light disco, dressing up in a Grease pink ladies outfit made by my sister and watching the movie on repeat way too many times that is humanly good for you.
Nostalgia according to the Oxford dictionary is “a sentimental longing or wistful affection for a period in the past.” Particular smells, songs, sights, food and even weather can trigger feelings of nostalgia. Sometimes it is the very reason behind why we can’t seem to throw out an outfit despite not being that clothing size for years. What about those people that keep the same hairstyle that was popular in earlier decades, maybe it’s because of nostalgia for that time in the past- the glory years?
I love the television show “The Goldbergs” and I know nostalgia has a lot to do with it. Yes, the characters are great but I think I love it so much because it brings back all those childhood memories of the 80’s like:
- the big teased hair styled with a can of hair spray that doesn’t move even in the strongest wind
- the clothing fads of ra-ra skirts, florescent shirts, fingerless gloves, pump-up shoes and shoulder pads in everything.
- the cool toys like the Rubik’s Cube, Rubik’s Twist / Snake and magic rings, collecting scratch-n-sniff stickers, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and who could forget those ugly and slightly scary Cabbage Patch kids.
- the cassette tapes and making your own mix tapes recorded from the radio
- the 80’s music which was all about big hair, bright blinding clothes and make-up, and what about those dance moves.
- the 80’s television shows like MacGyver, the A-Team, 21 Jump Street, Knight Rider, Degrassi Junior High and Quantum Leap. I haven’t even mentioned the movies with classic one liners like “Nobody puts Baby in a corner.”
Be warned though, sometimes re-watching those loved childhood television shows, movies or even games ( ie Game of Life) can lead to disappointment. Sometimes it is better to leave them as cherished memories because you don’t realise how much acting and story lines have improved over the years.
What smells, foods, music, sights trigger nostalgic memories for you? I would love to receive your comments or why don’t you Subscribe to BB Illustrations Newsletter for some more in depth nostalgic discussions.
If you are interested in my caricature drawings, I am also happy to hear from you in regards to commission work. Please click on my About Me page and send me an email. Until next time, happy nostalgia.